Friday, November 14, 2008

Succinctly put as usual

Much to the chagrin of some egalitarian ladies of my acquintance I frequent a blog called Ladies Against Feminism. The name puts them off. It is unfortunate because the ladies that put this together are very well educated and very able to put forth thought-provoking ideas in well written form. This article definately encapsulates some hard truth about our election. What does it say about us as christian women?

It brings to my mind the exhortation in Titus 2. This passage is not just about "our place" as women. It begins with older men's responsibilities and goes right on down the line to slaves (women are differentiated here for those that might believe the bible equates them). The whole point of the passage is WHY do we joyfully embrace our callings at the different seasons in our lives. v.9b-15: so that in every way they will make the teaching about God our Savior attractive. For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men. It teaches us to say "No" to ungodliness and worldly passions, to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age, while we wait for the blessed hope-the glorious appearing of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, who gave himself for us to redeem us from all wickedness and to purify for himself a people that are his very own, eager to do what is good. These, then, are the things you should teach. Encourage and rebuke with all authority. Do not let anyone despise you.

The thing is that the world already despises us. Jesus said that if it hated him it would hate us. We somehow are surprised by this. I know it is easy for me to believe, here in America, that I can be cool and christian. No such thing is biblical. It is being a worldly man-pleaser and not a christian.

The feminist lie along with all the other worldly lies tells us we can and should have it all RIGHT NOW! Now I ask why is it so hard to wait to raise our children for "other" career goals? I mean seriously folks. Why do I have to rush, rush, rush. I have to experience life. Then I pop out a few kids, put them in daycare and pursue my career so I can be fulfilled. Ask any working mother after rushing kids to daycare, working hard at an 8+ hour day, getting the kids, sitting down (maybe) to a meal out of a box or a take-out bag, rushing to get the kids in bed, not having time to tidy the house and falling into bed too exhausted for any kind of intimacy with the hubby if she feels fulfilled at that point.

Now I, like everyone else, struggle with contentment. I am not Pollyanna. There are days when I would gladly trade my husband, kids etc. for a week on the beach with a bunch of pina coladas. There is reality for you. We have been going through a really growing time as of late so that can be an easy reality to wallow in.

However, I am content in the Lord. He is so good to me. When I am stray from contentment the Lord lovingly brings me back. I truly am blessed. God has a way of reminding me that He is watching and He is pleased with me. I ALSO have a growing, deep friendship with my husband. I ALSO have growing love and respect from my children. And even once and a while I do get public approval(my most recent story must be saved for a different post).

I do struggle with my "image." I pray that the Lord would help me be real. My detractors might be able to misunderstandingly call me a doormat, weak-minded, baby machine, but may they never be able to call me unchristian.

No comments: