Friday, May 02, 2008

Prayer

The Bible tells us to pray without ceasing. I also recently read an incredible book, Passionate Housewives. In that book Stacy McDonald encourages us to not feel guilty about the "sacred quiet time" or lack there of in your life. She says to pray in "droplets." She also says, "but PRAY!" (emphasis added) That has really inspired me to pray more often and more specifically. The practical aspect of that is that I have written sripture, dear people and prayers down. I have contact papered them and stuck them in various areas of the house.

For instance, I have my husband and children written down with scripture that I am praying for them tacked above the kitchen sink. Since I spend a good amount of time there I pray for them often:)

My husband gave me a great devotional book by one of my favorite authors, Joni Eareckson Tada, for Christmas. I wrote out one of the scripture verses and the prayer at the end of one recent devotion. I have been praying it every day. Let me share it with you: Just for today, Lord, keep me and guide me, just for today. For the next twenty-four hours, fill me with grace to face each setback with patience and joy beyond my own.

I am not into those silly prayers that people often send via e-mail (or snail mail sometimes) that involves some financial payoff. Or the ones that promise all kinds of problems from hemmoroids to acid reflux if I don't pass it on. I am encouraged, however, by the prayers of saints past and present. It reminds me that we are part of a greater fellowship than what we may suspect. I once stood in a thousand year old church. It hit me that the Lord always has a remnant. I could almost see the saints from the past holding hands throughout the ages down to me. We all need to remember that we are surrounded by a great cloud of witnesses. We are not alone. That is part of being in the body of Christ, who said he would never leave us or forsake us. His body is made up of believers throughout history. I am strengthened when I think of my fellow members:)

1 comment:

Michele @ Frugal Granola said...

I've really loved reading your blog lately. You have such insightful things to say. Thanks! :)
Blessings,
Michele